Saturday 3 May 2014

Q5 with Jonathan Stigter


This month we have James Cook University student Jonathan Stigter sharing his illustrations with us in his first solo exhibition called "World of Graphite".  Visit the exhibition page on our website here.

After the break we ask Jono our Q5 questions for our regular artist interview series on our blog, read about his art along with who and what inspires him.


Installation Day - Saturday May 3rd, 2014

Q1 ­ Tell us a little about yourself:
My name is Jono, I don’t really consider myself to be a very interesting person but I have a thorough interest in comic books and illustration. I've always enjoyed drawing since I was little and I'm sure it is something I’ll always have a passion for. 

Q2 ­ What kind of art do you have in the exhibition:
Original Illustrations and (Big Bang style D'Artism) Fan Art.

Q3 ­ Can you share with us the inspiration behind your art? 
Most of my inspiration comes randomly either events from my own life or simply just ideas and concepts that I'm fascinated by. I like to draw mostly characters or portraits that tell a story on their own and most of these characters are inspired by science fiction or comic books to some extent.

Q4 ­ Do you have any tips to share with other artists?
My only advice in art would be to follow your own path and do whatever YOU personally find interesting or enjoy and don’t let people tell you or influence you to make art that becomes a chore for You to create. So basically, embrace the unique aspects of your art or continue to make the art that means something to you.

Q5 ­ Who are your favourite artists right now?


a short stop-motion video of the installation

Jonathan's collection is on display at 109 Lake Street, Cairns and can be seen 24/7 by pedestrians even while the renovations are under way.  Parking on Lake Street can be patchy but it can easily be found on Grafton Street behind Canopy Gallery putting you a short walk away.

To subscribe to our blog, scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter your email address.    

No comments:

Post a Comment