Monday 20 January 2014

Q5 with Douglas Taylor-Latt





It's the start of a new year and like last year we have a photography exhibition to make for a great start to a big year of art at Cell.  We're delighted to share with you the stunning underwater photography of first time exhibitor Douglas Taylor-Latt.  To learn a bit more about his work we sent him 5 questions which you can read below.

Douglas and his exhibition on installation day, January 4th
Q1 Tell us about yourself?

I’m a Cairns local and have been diving for 14 years professionally for 12 Years. I started taking underwater images when I was 16 with film then moved onto digital. I've worked with both underwater still and video production, but have always found still photography to be more enjoyable. Fortunately I have a job that takes me to a vast area of the Great Barrier Reef which gives me plenty of photographic opportunities.

Q2 Please describe the photography you have in the exhibition?

I predominately shoot macro photography, the colours, textures and patterns of the underwater world make for unique images. The exhibition was focused mainly on nudibranches, coral and small critters through macro using a compact camera setup.

Q3 What inspired you when creating it?

The images have a soft elegant quality about them which shows just how delicate this life is. I wanted to portray this through my camera in a way that shows my love for the ocean.

Q4 What is your favourite part of your photography?

Going on dives and the unpredictability of nature not knowing what you’re going to see next.

Q5 Who is your favourite artist/photographer?

Michael Aw 
 
Douglas' exhibition runs until February 1st, 2014 at 109 Lake Street, Cairns. As always Cell Art Space is open 24/7 and is still accessible to pedestrians during the City Place upgrade. Closest parking is behind Canopy off Grafton Street.  

No comments:

Post a Comment